Saturday, December 30, 2006

Whale Watching

Today we decided to play hookey from church and get a little nature. It was a gorgeous day; sunny, no wind and 70-some degrees. What could we do, we wondered, that would be more exciting that sitting on the sand at the beach but just as close to home? Channel Islands Harbor is a mere stone's throw away (OK, more like 10 miles, but close enough), and in the four years I've lived in southern California, I've never even been to the Harbor, much less out on the water to the islands. So, away we went on a whale watching trip! Gray whales are migrating from Alaska during this season, apparently. I wouldn't know personally, as we never actually saw a whale. However, perhaps even cooler than a whale might've been, was the playful group of perhaps 1,000 or more dolphins that we trolled with for most of the afternoon. I've been on the water a lot and never have I seen more than 10 or 12 dolphins in one place. This was perhaps the most amazing aquatic thing I've ever seen. Hundreds and hundreds of them, as far as the eye could see, riding our wake, racing and jumping and criss-crossing back and forth. TOOOOOO cool. God is SO awesome.
Cool Slideshows

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl - that sounds like too much fun. I would LOVE to see that many dolphins in one place. Very Cool! Was that your mom in one of the photos with Ken?

I like your slideshow too. I'll have to check out Picturetrail. It looks like fun.