Sunday, April 22, 2007

Strawberry Muffins


OK, to redeem myself from last night's cobbler fiasco, which ended up basically as a bowl of jam after I added more cornstarch to the finished product to thicken it (I removed the bread parts, of course), I decided to turn the "jam" into muffins this morning. And I must say, YUMMY. Here's my version of the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup Benefiber (a powdered fiber supplement), optional
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup flax oil, optional
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup strawberry jam

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; make a well in the center. Combine eggs, oil and milk; pour all at once into the well. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix. Gently fold in jam (a few lumps will remain, which gives the appearance of whole berries in the finished product). Place in a well-greased or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.

  2. Notes: Next time, to make them healthier, I'll use half whole wheat flour and maybe some oats. I also added about 1/4 cup Benefiber (the powdered fiber supplement). The original recipe called for 1/2 cup oil, which I substituted for 1/2 cup applesauce and about 1/4 cup flax oil, just for good health (I figured the oil would offset the additional dry ingredients created by the Benefiber). The original recipe also called for buttermilk, but I didn't have any, so I used milk, which worked fine. And it also called for 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, but I don't really like nutmeg and didn't have any anyway, so I just left it out. All around, a fantastic muffin the way I made them.

No comments: