Saturday, April 21, 2007

Strawberry Cobbler


Tonight I made a strawberry cobbler (why is it so hard to write that word without spelling it "clobber"?). Here's my version of the recipe (adjusted slightly after I actually tasted it!):

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced or chopped or whatever you prefer
  • 2 tablespoons butter, diced
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup milk (original recipe calls for heavy cream, but I didn't have any)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
  2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and hot (happened very quickly). Stir in strawberries, and remove from heat. Pour mixture into the baking dish, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. (I think next time I make it, I'll put the sugar on the berries first and let them sit a while so that they make their own syrup, then I'll add the juice – not the berries – to the cornstarch mixture and adjust the amount of cornstarch based on how much juice they put off. This time, I didn't do that, and the finished product is way too runny because the berries were super plump and juicy.)
  3. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt (I don't "sift" anything; I just stirred with a whisk). Blend in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in cream. Mixture should be fairly soft. Spoon on top of berries.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven.

No comments: