Friday, June 16, 2006

D.R.Horton - America's Builder

OK, I have to say, I'm really impressed with D.R.Horton - America's Builder. I am genetically predisposed to distrusting corporate entities, assuming that they're all out to make a buck by screwing the consumer at every turn (I get that from my dad). Anyway, over the past couple of weeks, I've had a couple of interactions that make me think DR Horton is one of the good guys. As you know, we're buying a condo from them. It's still under construction and due to be finished in November.

In my weekly unofficial walk-throughs, I've noticed a couple of things that really bothered me. First, the triple windows in the great room were fixed (don't open). So, I called the sales office to complain, called the city planner to find out why it is the way it is, then emailed the corporate office to explain my unhappiness. This past week, I got an email from a VP at corporate and a call from the sales office to let me know that they analyzed the window situation and are going to replace the two outer windows with openable ones (and the middle will remain fixed). Wow!

Then I measured the laundry closet and found that there's no way under the sun that even an apartment-size stackable unit would fit in a 27" deep closet. So again, call sales office, email corporate. Lo and behold, yesterday, the sales office called to report that they'd analyzed the situation and will be moving the door frame forward three inches (to a total of 30") which should accomodate quite a few models of front-loading stackables. That's going to be a pretty major project, and I really respect them for wanting to please their homeowners.

In addition, I'm using the builder's lender, DHI Mortgage, and my loan officer, Dina, has been a real gem. Helpful, nice to work with, etc. All the crew at the sales office are delightful; Susan, Michael and Jeff are the ones I've dealt with. Then, their design center staff are all really sweet, too. The whole process has been painless.

So, there you go.

No comments: