Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Borat

We saw the new movie "Borat" as a screening before it was released, and we were absolutely horrified with it. Ken, who, like most men, retains a bit of teenage boy in his soul, liked it more than I did, but he was nonetheless horrified by its crassness. Now to learn that it was more of a fake documentary than a scripted movie, and that most of the participants were unaware that Borat was a fictional character, makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Especially disgusting is the way people in other countries who are poor and have less experience and knowledge about slimy Hollywood antics were taken advantage of. I mean, paying a poverty-stricken Romanian villager $4 to let a cow use their already-modest living room as a toilet is outrageous. I hope somebody comes up with a way to gut 20th Century Fox for this. People are going to see the movie just to see what all the hype is about, but I hope a greater sense of decency creates a painful backlash for them. Comedian or not, Cohen is just as guilty, if not more so, than anyone else. Hurting people is NOT funny. We're supposed to look out for widows, children and the poor, not use them for our selfish gain. The whole thing is so disgusting that I feel physically sick. Sooner or later, they will be punished, I believe God's punishment will be the most fair, whatever He may choose.

No comments: