Saturday, August 27, 2005

Katrina

I decided to surprise my mom in Biloxi, Mississippi, with a visit this week. A death in the family spoiled the surprise, because she was considering going to the funeral out of state. Such is life. So I arrived Thursday morning. My return trip, scheduled for Monday morning, is uncertain at this point because hurricane Katrina is bearing down on us. I'll miss some important meetings and a retirement dinner for a much beloved co-worker if I don't get back on time, but I really want to be here to make sure mom is OK during the storm. She's scheduled to work, and they make all the staff stay in the hospital during hurricanes to make sure they have enough to cover shifts in case roads aren't open. So, if Katrina heads here, she, the dogs and I will probably end up in the hospital Monday, waiting the storm out. I think I'll run up to WalMart tonight to pick up a card-reader so that I can upload photos to the blog from my camera. It's sunny and HOT right now — about 94 with high humidity means a heat index of 105ish. Ick. Thank goodness for air-conditioning. Wish we had a pool! Or I could go down to the beach and run around in the background of the The Weather Channel's live broadcast with Jim Cantore. Hehehe...

No comments: